The error Not Attempted may have different causes, but ListManager does not differentiate between them. This problem may be noticed:
- After a server migration, where external emails are stuck in the retry queue, whereas internal delivery is fine.
- It may also appear that LM is not trying to send external, just marking the recipients as "not attempted".
Mailing Not Attempted troubleshooting steps.
Ensure the server migration steps were observed
Make sure that all the required steps to Migrate Lyris LM to a New Installation were taken. Pay special attention to the Update Machine Settings section, as wrong IP addresses may cause several sorts of issues.
Check for misconfigured node names
After migrating a server, the database might end up with multiple or inconsistent node names, which may cause licensing and delivery issues. In such cases, you may need to query and delete invalid names or rename the existing one so it is consistent with your installation.
Verify the IP addresses in Mailstream
A mailing will fail if its MailStream is configured with the wrong IP address.
For more information check the article Mailings fail as Not Attempted because of wrong IP addresses in the mailstream.
Verify the IP addresses assigned to ListManager
Check the IP addresses configured to make sure they are correct. If they aren't, check that the computer on which ListManager is running is using the correct IP addresses. If it is, remove the incorrect IP addresses and replace them with the correct IP ones:
- Navigate to "Utilities : Administration : Server : Server Settings : Machine Settings" and select the "IP Adresses" tab.
- Verify that the IP addresses configured in the "Machine IP addresses" and "TCLPORT IP addresses" (all IP addresses need to be highlighted - use ctrl-click to select or deselect multiple items) fields are correct.
- Click the Save button.
- Restart ListManager services for the changes to take effect.
Verify the correct MailStream is being used
To check at a site level:
- Go to "Utilities : Administration : Sites".
- Click the site you wanto to check to open the "Edit Site" screen.
- Select the "SMTP" tab.
- Set the default "Outgoing Mail Stream" for new lists in the site.
- Go to "Utilities : List Settings : Basic Information".
- Here you can set the default MailStream for your list.
Check outbound connectivity on port 25
If ListManager cannot connect to mail servers on port 25, members will be placed into Not Attempted status until the software is able to establish such connections.
This can happen if the firewall is preventing ListManager from connecting to mail servers or if ListManager is not able to establish a connection to the Internet.
Check DNS resolution
DNS resolution may cause ListManager to fail to send to external domains. That might be related to the built-in DNS resolver or to an external DNS if configured. Follow the article DNS not resolving to a specific domain to investigate DNS-related problems.
If using an external DNS, test with LM's default DNS 188.8.131.52 and change "Use Only for Fallback" to "no", in "Utilities : Administration : Server : Server Settings : Network Settings : DNS". If the resolution is successful, it indicates a problem with the external DNS.
Check if port 53 is blocked
If port 53 (UDP for DNS lookups) is blocked in the firewall, it may cause ListManager to fail to send to external domains.
Verify MailStream blocks
ListManager will not attempt to deliver mail to members who are members of a domain that ListManager knows is blocked from sending mail to. In order to resolve this issue, you must contact the blocking mail provider to resolve the blocking issue and then release the mailstream block in ListManager.
In versions 9.x and below, restarting ListManager causes some mail to go out because ListManager begins sending mail before checking mailstream blocks, however other mailings will be blocked from sending. This can give the illusion that the issue is resolved because a little mail goes out, but if the issue is not resolved mail will stop sending.
For more detailed information to address this issue, please check the following article Mailings Blocked by Major Domains.
Check Mailing Statistics
Check for any mailings that might be causing ListManager to not attempt to send any mailings out, in the "Utilities : Administration : Server : Operational Statistics : Mailing Statistics" page, and look for information in their configurations and logs as well.